Day 4: Walk the talk


After a day of phone calls, brainstorming and discussion, it seems like our group is finally making some progress .
We met with our mentor, Anton to discuss our ideas and pitch some stories.

I am still quite keen on doing a contrast between a family in Alex and one in Dainfern/Sandton.
And after doing some research on Mia's farm.

I found some more info on the massive property development that will be built on the Mia's land. It is called Waterfall, and it will have housing esates, retirement village, schools, shopping centres... the plans look quite impressive. I definitely have to go there and see what the deal is.

Zaheer is still keen on his canals (and still paranoid about e-coli), Xola is looking at several environmental issues, Diana wants to follow a vagrant living off the river and Thabo wants to do his story on religious groups that use the river for baptisms and rituals.

Our ideas were well received, we were just concerned about them overlapping with those of the other groups.

I thought that Thabo's story was the most interesting, I would love to see the pictures and video of rituals in the river. I think that if it is done right, it can be a really awesome story.

Anton gave us a wicked idea- walking the Jukskei and filming our experiences, who we meet and what we see along the way. It got a mixed reaction from the group, some of us were quite keen on the idea, others were a bit dubious....

Nevertheless, we decided by a 4-1 majority that we would do it!

The supergroup meeting later with the others was painful, almost every one of our stories was snapped up by the other groups. The history group tried to take Waterfall, but I dug my heels in and managed to keep it :)

I am really excited about the project, but at the same time I can't help but feel a little bit overwhelmed, this project is going to be a humangous load of work...

Seriously though, I'm a little bit nervous. There is a mammoth amount of work to do in just two weeks.





No comments:

Post a Comment